In the article below we are reviewing the pros and cons of using Twitter for eCommerce marketing purposes, as this is teach by Adrian Morrison inside his ESA course.
Pros of eCom Twitter marketing:
- Global reach: You dont have to worry about reaching out to foreign clients; most of the world is already on Twitter. Your marketing message will reach a large audience without a huge time investment. With just a few clicks, youre communicating with a global audience.
- URL shortener: You can share any link without having to go through your own URL shortening hassles in order to save as many characters as possible for your tweet. The site will now automatically shorten links as much as possible and factor this into your tweet by updating the character count using the shortened URL instead of the full one.
- Advanced user searches: You can use the Twitter advanced search page to find customers or clients in your area and reach out to people in your industry. Then, you can find tweetups (offline meetings of Twitter users) or follow them and build a network.
- Statistical and historical usage data: Popular tools for tracking marketing campaigns include CoTweet, BrandChirp, and DataSift. You can also take advantage of the online software available to analyze your Twitter account. SocialBro provides an easy-to-read dashboard that filters in a variety of analytics for your Twitter account, including a look at your community by followers, language, tweet usage per day, and language. Find out information such as your most popular hashtags and topics using Search.Twitter.com to identify popular ones so you can tailor further marketing accordingly. You can also use Hashtags.org, where you can view hourly information and graphs on the most popular hashtags.
- Automation: Various tools such as SocialOomph allow you to set up automated tweets so you can go on vacation and still have your Twitter account performing automatic marketing. Its not a good idea to rely solely on automated tweets, because youd miss out on interactions. However, its wise to promote new eCommerce writing tips on blog posts or writing tips on your Twitter account automatically.
Cons of eCom Twitter marketing:
- Distraction and addiction: Like many marketing tools, it can be addictive to start using Twitter. Before you know it, you have to check your retweets and @-replies every morning before starting your writing for the day, and your phone is buzzing every few minutes with interesting alerts. Instead of working on your business, you can get caught up in news, Twitter trends, and debates.
- Narcissism: Sometimes, people misuse Twitter, focusing on narcissistic displays of personal achievements or self-promotion. This can ruin your experience when youre following narcissists, and it can be misperceived by other customers as a narcissistic move on your part if they dont know how Twitter can be used for better purposes with eCommerce marketing.
- Spam: It takes practice to make sure youre interacting enough with Twitter and not missing out on marketing opportunities, but without sounding like a spammer. If youre new to it, you might exhibit frowned-upon behavior and be shunned without even knowing it. And in the process of tweeting, you might run into spammers yourself, creating an added annoyance.
- Time investment: You have to respond to clients and fellow writers who talk to you if youre marketing on Twitter and want to build a solid brand. People love interaction, and you cant just talk at them. You have to be prepared to have conversations, build relationships, and acknowledge others as you build your brand.
Twitter marketing as part of the eCom success academy course comes with plenty of advantages, but you cant forget about the negative aspects of using Twitter to market your eCommerce services. If you want to take advantage, youre going to have to deal with some of these cons, but if the pros outweigh the cons, why not? Twitter can be a fantastic when switching from blogging to eCommerce marketing tool for freelance writers who are willing to invest the time to truly interact and engage other users. You can download eCom Success Academy review PDF here
Your turn! Do you agree or disagree with these pros and cons? Any others youd add?